Sunday 20 March 2011

New Poem: On Sparrows: A Lament


On Sparrows: A Lament

Oft I’ve spied the sparrows play,
On a sunny morn in the month of May,
They go about flying and chasing each other,
Chirping, pruning and ruffling their feathers.

Upon the branches of a young pomegranate tree,
The have perched to enjoy the breeze,
Oh! And now into a puddle they dive,
And cavort and dance in groups of five.  

When I was a child and I watched the birds,
Their ubiquity meant that their calls were always heard,
And in their direction I scarcely glanced,
Forever in their state of playful dalliance.

Though now this passerine is not so common,
Maybe it’s phone towers, pesticides or pollution,
But I do know that I no longer see them as often,
And I miss the days they ate the grains in my garden.
Mukund Palat Rao (March 20,2011)

2 comments: