Tuesday 7 September 2010

Poem: A Dog's Life


All photos courtesy Mukund P Rao









                     A Dog’s Life

Amongst the sights that you see oft,
Here is one I like a lot,
And pray if you enquire as to what it is,
Here would be my reply,
‘A dog with a dirty tail.’


Jeez!
What is it about a dog and its hind quarter,
That evokes in me such mirth and laughter?

Imagine yourself as a dog,
On a hot and dusty summer noon,
The sun is blazing; your throat is parched,
And your paws are scorched.
Then all of a sudden as though a gift from God,
Beside the road you spy a puddle,
And there you go and jump and play,
Maybe sit down and take a nap for the day.

Aah!
What bliss,
As you feel the coolness engulf you,
You look around and notice people envy you.

A strange joy spreads across my heart,
When I see a dog take such a delightful bath,
And especially when a dog all wet and wagging tail,
Comes upto you and drenches you like an upturned pail,

A Dog’s life on days such as these,
Is one of relative ease,
And I would quite willingly trade,
Our places, so that on that puddle I could have laid!

Mukund Palat Rao (September 7, 2010)
  

P.S: If you live in Delhi and are inspired by my poem, right now isn't exactly the best time to go and jump in a puddle and have a siesta there. Might end up with dengue. 


4 comments:

  1. i love this one mukund . paints a very true image of mans best friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a lot for taking time out to read my poems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's gr888888.. keep penning!

    cheers
    ardent fan of urs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. check tis outte! dunno if u'll be able to relate to it cos its a tamil movie review! read it if u find tym.. http://sudarshanvaradhan.blogspot.com/2010/09/three-commercial-monsters.html

    ReplyDelete